Wolf

Wolf

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Utopia, Ohio



We took a trip to see if we could find haunted Utopia, Ohio. To say that Utopia is a small town is an understatement, this is a town were if you blink or squint you will miss it. When you see the sign that says Utopia you are about 3 feet from the town. Now let me tell you about the "town", it has a street that dead ends, next to it is a mom and pop store that is now closed and for sale and another dead end street next to that and that folks is the town of Utopia. If you have never heard the history of Utopia it is really interesting. The history is: In 1844  Charles Fourier bought property in Clermont County along the Ohio River. He was a member of a religious group that believed the world was entering a 35,000 year period of piece. He believed that all of the world's people would be collected into phalanxes.  He attracted more then a dozen families to his own phalanx, which he named Utopia. He had his own farmland, schools, stables and libraries. He also built a community dining hall on the river and a 30 room brick house on higher ground. 
For $25.00 a year he rented wooden houses to families. Fourier's believed that the oceans would turn into lemonade. When the oceans did not turn into lemonade as he told the people they would, most of the families left the community. In 1847 he sold the property to John Wattles, a spiritualist leader. Wattles moved the brick buildings down to the riverbank brick by brick. It was rebuilt in December of that year, which just so happened to be when the record floods came through the Ohio River valley. Everyone tried to warn theses people about the floods but they did not listen. They gathered in the brick house for a dance on December 12. The flood came rushing in and the bricks gave away on the building. Many of the people inside where swept away into the dark freezing water. 
Some people in Utopia say the Spiritualists are still there. People will see soggy apparitions coming up out of the river or walking on the riverbank. There is also a stone underground chamber that still remains on the banks of the river. It opens to the surface in two places that are fenced in. If you are to go down into the chamber, it is about 20 feet deep. You will see that it is a dirt floor chamber with a vaulted roof and 2 fireplaces. 
After about 3 times trying, we finally found Utopia. I do not like to say this about places where people live as that is their home, but this damn place is creepy even if nothing ever happened there or there was not ghost stories. There is nothing there but a few houses and I have been there twice now and have never seen anyone outside. To get down to the river and see the chamber you have to go down one of the dead end roads. Now at the end of both of them is a gate that says No trespassing. I guess they have the signs up there because people have heard the stories and are going to check them out. I don't see how they can gate off the road since it does not look like it is on private property but they did.
I think that if you want to check out the ghost you can go at night and just park in the store parking lot and look down the street by the river and see if you can see the ghost. I am going to do that one night and take my inferred camera. 
I have read that people have went to Utopia to look for the underground church or to see what they can find and the people that live on the roads have not been friendly to them. Some were even threaten so if you go to check this creepy place out just be careful. I will do another post on Utopia and let you know if I saw anything when I go back at night. 





6 comments:

  1. My grandmother lived on center street in utopia while I was growing up. That's the street next to the gas station that dead ends into the river. Giiiiirl I could tell u stories about this town! My grandma had a huge white farm house that was nicely maintained on center street. Once my grandpa passed she had to sell it and some idiots bought it gutted it then abandoned it. It was so sad driving back to utopia seeing my grandparents once nice house overgrown with weeds and gutted but I digress.
    We used to walk to that little gas station to get ice cream. The guy who ran it pulled a gun on my grandfather and was taken to jail for a few years. When he returned from jail he got his gas station back but I guess now it's closed for good.
    I have spent many many nights in utopia and have never seen a ghost ever. It was very eerie though and I was terrified of the woods.
    I know where the under ground church is. My grandfather has taken my sister so she's seen it with her own eyes. Its across center street past a field. I wouldn't go back there now though, there are tons of no tresspassing signs and every one that lives there hunts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for taken the time to read my post and to comment. That is so sad about your grandparents house. I know when we were there that whole place had a creepy feeling to it and I know what you mean about the woods. I would love to see the church but I will not go back into the woods because the few people I did see when we were there did not look to friendly..lol..I would love to hear some of your stories. If you ever have the time please feel free to email me about them. Have a great day :)

      Delete
    2. No problem! I was just searching the internet one day when I found your blog. I plan to go back to utopia later this spring and check out my old grandparents house and possibly see the church. The only reason I will visit is because the people there will remember my Grandparents. I wouldn't recommend going back if you are not familiar with the area though, the residents don't care for outsiders.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lyinn- I am a resident here in Utopia. My husband and I own a spread of three lands/homes. We purchased the one piece of property only because it has one of the underground buildings. It is still standing. I had an imvestigation team come out recently as well. The store is open again as the man closes it down every year for awhile then reopens. Contact me if you are wver in the area and I can show you the stoned building. Thanka and god bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lyinn- I am a resident here in Utopia. My husband and I own a spread of three lands/homes. We purchased the one piece of property only because it has one of the underground buildings. It is still standing. I had an imvestigation team come out recently as well. The store is open again as the man closes it down every year for awhile then reopens. Contact me if you are wver in the area and I can show you the stoned building. Thanka and god bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mindy, Thank you so much for the offer. I would love to see the building :)

      Delete