Wolf

Wolf

Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Masterson House in Carrollton



While we were in Carrollton, we checked out The Masterson House. This is a very beautiful historic house. It was built by Richard and Sarah Masterson at the turn of the 19th century. It was also the first brick house to be built between Cincinnati and Louisville and was also the first meeting house for the Methodist Church. It is the oldest known two story brick house still standing on the Ohio River between Pittsburgh and Cairo. It was built by slaves out of native bricks, laid in Flemish Bond style that was burned on the site. 
It is neat to see these old house and see how they are so welled cared for and still look beautiful. Looking at them you would never guess they were that old. There is also a family cemetery on the property. I love looking at all the old headstones and the dates that are on them.
Next to the cemetery we found a cool thing. We found a time capsule. It makes you wonder what kind of things they will find when it is time to open it. 
The Masterson House is located on US Highway 42, 2111 Highland Ave.
They offer tours of the house, but the day we were there they were closed.
Disclaimer: I am not getting paid nor did I receive anything for doing this post. 


The time capsule



8 comments:

  1. i was in 2nd grade and we buried somethings in that capsule. i was just there on 3-8-16 trying to remember where it was at and couldnt. thank you for posting this blog and helping me unknowingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could be of help and thanks for taken the time to read my post on it :)

      Delete
  2. This house belonged to a however many great uncle of mine. My wife and I visited it a few years ago. Like you, I am always interested in historic places, but with this being family, it is just that much better. Thank you for writing something about it. As far as the tombstones in the cemetery,I have some stories that go along with some of the names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome that you have had people in your family that this house belonged to. It is a beautiful house and so full of history. I would love to hear some of the stories about the names in the cemetery. Thank you for taken the time to read my post.

      Delete
    2. One of the people in the cemetery that I know a little bit about is Wesley Masterson. Apparently, he was an extremely lazy person who would not work. The story goes that he would just sell a couple of acres of the family property when he ran out of money. It is also said he would not even pull his own boots on. He had to have a servant do it for him. I will have to look in my genealogy papers for some more info about others that are there.

      Delete
    3. That would be great!!! I would love to hear and learn more about it. Thanks so much for sharing

      Delete
  3. That is awesome that you have had people in your family that this house belonged to. It is a beautiful house and so full of history. I would love to hear some of the stories about the names in the cemetery. Thank you for taken the time to read my post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying to determine if this building would have been the parsonage for the Methodist church in 1949 - or an address for the parsonage at that time, under Rev. Sanders.

    ReplyDelete