Wolf

Wolf

Thursday, March 27, 2014

The story of Clay Shrout and is his old house haunted??



Anyone that has lived in Florence, Burlington, or Union Kentucky over the past 20 years most likely knows the name Clay Shrout. I have been getting emails from a very nice lady that is a follower of my blog and she knows I love haunted things. She wishes for me to keep her name out of this post since she lives on the street that Clay and his family use to live on. I am going to tell you some of the history of Clay Shrout for those of you reading this and are wondering who in the world am I talking about, then I will tell you the haunted stuff that this lady told me.
On May 26,1994 Clay Shrout was just 17 years old. He lived in the  upscale subdivision Southampton  in Florence, Kentucky with his dad Harvey, his mom Rebbecca and his two sisters Kirsten age 14 and Lauren age 12. On the morning of May 26,1994 Clay woke up at 5:00am. He had planned out that he was either going to take a some stuff and all the money that he could and leave, but he didn't want to be stopped so in his words he said he "had to kill them". So he took a .380 caliber pistol and walked into his parents room at 5:45am and while his parents were sleeping he shot his mom in the head and then shot his dad. As he made his way down the hall to his sisters room he heard a noisy, it was his father and he was still alive so Clay shot him two more times. His older sister Kirsten was awake when he shot and killed her. Then he shot and killed his younger sister Lauren after she told him about a nice dream she had. He told the police that he killed his sisters for two reasons. One is because he did not want them to live without their parents and the other reason being his older sister would have had enough intelligence to call the police and he didn't want to get caught. 
He then got into his dad's jeep and drove to the young lady house that he had taken to prom just two weeks earlier and kidnapped her. He drove to his high school and held his Trigonometry class hostage until he was taken into custody. 
Now for the reason that this kid did such a awful thing. It was because he was upset at his parents for taken away his weapons because he was failing English. What a sorry excuse to kill your whole family, that was 4 lives taken for absolutely no reason beside a 17 year old acting like a brat.
He pleaded guilty by reason of insanity and was sentence to life in prison without parole for 25 years. So that means that in 2019 he will be up for parole. He has not been a model prisoner. For some reason beyond me when he first went to prison he was in the minimum security at Ky Reformatory in LaGrange. Now the question I have is this nut just killed his whole family and you put him in a minimum security prison that is just crazy. But anyway he was moved to the maximum security prison the Eddville, Ky after he was found with a L-Shaped 10 inch stainless steel bar and a plan to escape.
Clay is 37 years old now and I wonder if he thinks about the looks on his sisters face when he took their lives. I am sorry but this man does not deserve parole. I don't buy his insanity plea, he knew exactly what he was doing that morning, he had it all planned out and in my opinion he is to insane to every be out of prison.
Now onto what the lady that lives on the street that Clay use to live on told me. She said that she has seen a little girl looking out of the window of the house when it was still empty. That most of the kids that live on that street are scared to walk on the same side as the house. They don't know that story of what happened in the house and they were not born when it happened but the kids say they feel like the house is watching them. She told me that her young granddaughter was playing and talking to someone that was not there and when she asked her who she was talking to she said Lauren. She told me, she thought that her granddaughter just made up an imaginary friend but when she told her what her friend looked like she said she described little Lauren Shrout to a T.
She said it scared the hell out of her but then she calmed down because she knew Lauren when she was alive and she knew she would not hurt her granddaughter. She said she feels  that Lauren like the rest of the family died way to young and she just wants to be able to be a kid again.
I know when we drove by the house you kinda get a creepy feeling. This lady told me that after the killings happened you always heard strange sounds coming from the house and you could always see things. She said that to this day she still see and hear things at the house.
I am not going to disclose the address nor the street that this house is on out of respect for the owners that live there now. 
I also would like to thank this very sweet lady who took the time to email me and tell me what she has seen and heard. I want her to know that I will never tell anyone who she is. I can understand why she does not want her name to come out.     
If you would like to see more photos of this and other haunted places become a member of my facebook group. It's Lyinn and Doug's Haunted Adventures.

14 comments:

  1. The date on this is incorrect. It happened on May 26, 1994, not the 25th. I was a really good friend of Lauren's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the information. I corrected the date. I am sorry that you lost your good friend. That had to be a nightmare

      Delete
    2. I have a page and blog called spooks&stuff and I was looking for murder cases in Florence KY. I found the Clay case and then your blog right afterwards. It's horrible to think the family is still trapped in the house isn't it?

      Delete
  2. I have a lot more insight into Clay and the Shrout family, having grown up with him in his previous neighborhood as well as being at the house where the crimes were committed. I also have several pictures of Clay as a child. I honestly have feared the day he would ever be released. If you would like more information, respond here and I'll arrange to provide you with the information, including the pictures anonymously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, I would like more information. Could you send me an email at forwardmotion411@gmail.com please?

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much. I would love more information and anything you would like to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strange....My uncle went to look to purchase the house shortly after the incident...he stated that the bullet hole was still in the window and it had a chemical smell from them cleaning it.....he stated that the house was empty except he saw a little pair of girls shoes and at that moment got out of the house. After leaving a few minor crazy things happened and he took it as an omen to not buy the home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is creepy.. Thanks for sharing with me :)

      Delete
  5. My mom worked at KSR when he was there. She said he was a very creepy guy. He was not remorseful for what he did. He would tell that to other inmates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use to see him and his family come into the store I worked at when I was a teenager and he always seemed like a strange kid. I have read a lot of articles on him and all of them say the same thing that he is not remorseful at all.

      Delete
  6. I happen to be related to Clay Shrout, he is my cousin so I've got some insight that's from true sources and straight from the horses I know of him and his through the years and also the issues that plague his and my extended family.
    I was in his parents Becky & Harvey's wedding as a flower girl & my brother the ring bearer. They were wonderful people as were the girls. Clay was weird always. Antisocial just strange and we picked up on it, us kids. I'm 8 years older then him. We are all from Ky originally and spent lots of time together. I've got many old pictures of him and his sisters and of me and my siblings.
    Anyway, when he hit puberty he started getting weirder then even worse...he liked the macaab but in a very unhealthy way and looked and acted like he was a devil worshipper. Started dressing in all black most of the time even at our family reunion at the beach mind you. While at that reunion he was glued to the hip of another one of my "bad" cousins. What a reign of evil they would have put on others had they remained in the same vicinity too long. The other bad cousin was the age as Clay & prior to this reunion he had been with a friend of his who took it upon himself to rape and murder an elderly woman?!? at age 15?! My cousin had been with this boy earlier that day but not during this but I wonder if he was involved. The fact that those are the friends he was drawn too. This cousin is also in prison now (just a few years after Clay) for strangling his gf to death at age 21 so he's in prison. Also, another family member who shot and killed someone. We have a large family but it's wrought with mental illness bipolar mostly depression but also plagued with addiction problems & suicides and then of course the offenders of the most evil deeds. Don't get me wrong our large family are all upper middle class to upperclass who you'd never think would be this evil and the nonoffenders(the rest of the family who weren't bad have suffered as well bc of the judgment & spotlight.
    Back to Clay, We are very close with his grandmother (my aunt) on his mother's side and were the same with his grandad(uncle Wayne to me & then Becky's brother Chris(also know deceased way too soon). Clay killed them I'll never forget the funeral all of the news cameras the family had a private viewing with 4 open coffins. As I said we have a very big family so probably inside there for an hour with the open coffins. They didn't open them until we were all standing in groups around a choice of 1-4 of the coffins & my Uncle Wayne was standing beside me scared and full of dread and anguish waiting for them to open them. It was awful he had a psychotic break we happened to be standing in front of Lauren's coffin & when they opened it he kept crying and saying my Becky bc his daughter Becky well Lauren looked just so similar just like Becky as a child. He held onto me for dear life and the sobbing the pain was the most heartbreaking thing I'd seen. I thought he may have to be hospitalized. Sadly he died not too long after this travesty. He refused to see or speak to Clay although my aunt(his grandmother still sees him sends money every week.Clay killed my Uncle Wayne & also Becky's brother died soon after too heart and lung failure he was way too young, so Clay killed them then all that's left was his grandmother. They makeup people tried putting them back together again but it didn't work. Especially Harvey who was shot in his face multiple times. there was a reason it was to be closed casket ceremony I wish they'd not seared those images that were so disturbing; the 2 girls looked the most natural. I wish I'd never seen them that way. Anyway, Clay was always off always made me uncomfortable and no he will never ever get out. I have pictures, some I may share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing this with me.

      Delete
  7. I also grew up with clay and the cousin hit it on the head... When he hit puberty he became really dark and he was always socially akward but the 1 thing everyone leaves out and is confused about is... Clay was on drugs, LSD that helped warp his thinking... he and my brother were very close... I was a year younger than clay and he would drive me to school... until he asked me if I had ever cut my girlfriends arm and sucked her blood.... he also spoke of a bat that lived in his fireplace.
    And what is this about him failing English? Clay was expelled from school for bringing a teaser gun to school to pay someone back who had shocked him earlier in the week. His father had to come to the school to get him back in but then clay was grounded where his parents took everything away from him except his bed. He felt like his freedom was gone as he couldn't drive his truck anymore.
    As far as the house being haunted and all that.... Maybe but the lives lost that day were nothing less than amazing people.
    The bat that lived in the fireplace is crazy to me because several years later one of my friend's girlfriend took her own life on mothers day leaving behind w kids and one of the text messages she shared with my friend was that a crowd flew into her room (closet) and stole her soul.
    She also toyed with hallucination drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous, I worked with Harvey for 8+ yrs at his previous employment. Occasionally his family would visit the office, or we'd meet at company functions. I always loved Harv and his family, however, Clay did seem distant. Not nasty, just indifferent. Having worked in the office next to Harv was a treat. We would yell back & forth thru the open door and we made each other laugh daily. Still think of this tragedy occasionally. I also know the family that bought the home, and the father also knew Harv from this same company that we all worked at. I will tell you, it wouldn't bother me living there for I knew this family as a caring and loving family. Also, when I spoke with, Mr.Doe, he simply said we love this house, and in no way does the fact that Harv & his family having lived and died here bother us. You see, his beliefs are that it only somehow made him closer to the Shrout family, albeit in a different kind of way. The new family are also devout Christians and believe it's all good.

    ReplyDelete