Wolf

Wolf

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Big South Fork Scenic Train Ride




My dad and Doug took a trip to Stearn's, Kentucky to take a ride.  My dad has been wanting to take a train ride that took you through scenic views. This was the perfect ride for him. They both had a great time. When they arrived at Big South Fork they were able to go through the museum they have there. The museum contained facts and things that were used by the coal miners when they used trains to transport the coal. Having a Grandfather that was a coal minor that was pretty neat to see. They also had two gentlemen there that was playing music and they boarded the train and when the train stopped for the lay over they performed again.  Once they were on the train they set out for a 16 mile trip down to Blue Heron. The train also descends 600 feet into the Big South Fork Gorge. Alone the way the train slows down so you can hear some history about the Stearn's family. The train had seating inside the train as well as outside. On the way down they sat inside but coming back they sat outside so Doug could take some beautiful pictures. My dad and Doug had the Adult tickets that included a coal miners lunch. The lunch consists of a 1/2 ham and 1/2 turkey sandwich, coleslaw, applesauce, dessert, and a drink. It was served in a insulated souvenir bag. They both said the lunch was very good. The price for this ride was $33.75 for Doug and $ 32.25 for my dad ( senior price).  They both had a great time and said they would love to go back and ride the train again maybe in the spring this time ( they went in October). You can visit their website at www.bsfsry.com
They also do Bunny Express train rides, Blue Heron Ghost train rides, Haunted Halloween Express train rides, Trick or Treat For Tots train rides, and Santa Express train rides so there is something for everyone.
If you are looking for something fun to do I would check this out. I am sure you will love it and also you will love the beautiful view from the train. 
They are located at Main Street. Stearn's, Kentucky.

Disclaimer: I am not getting paid nor did I receive anything for doing this post











4 comments:

  1. This train ride looks absolutely lovely. I've actually never been on a train ride, but if I did I would want it to be through somewhere beautiful like this. It looks like you went during the beginning of Fall. I can just imagine how beautiful this would be once all the trees turned! http://www.scenicrailexcursions.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank's Claudia for the very nice comment and for reading my blog. I think the fall is the best time to take a scenic train ride. All the colors are so beautiful

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to go on a scenic train ride. The countryside in Kentucky looks gorgeous! That's really interesting that there is a museum about the coal mine industry along the route. Both my father and grandfather were also a coal miners, so it's a subject that I find very interesting.
    Bill Li | http://www.scenicrailexcursions.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank's Deanna for the nice comment and for reading my blog. My grandfather and a couple of uncles were coal miners also. We do have some very pretty countryside in Kentucky.

      Delete