Wolf

Wolf

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Our Visit To Thomas Edison House



While on vacation a few weeks ago, we took a trip to Louisville, Kentucky. While we were there we visited Thomas Edison house. Since I am a history buff, I found it so neat that Thomas Edison lived at one time not far from me. Thomas Edison lived in Louisville from 1866 to 1867. He moved to Louisville when he was nineteen.  He lived in the front room of the small house in the meat processing district. While he lived there he worked as a Western Union telegraph operator. He would mess around with different inventions in his free time. The story we heard was that Thomas got fired when acid from one of his experiments ate through the floor and dripped onto his boss's desk on the floor below. There is some of his inventions on display in the house, including a Dictaphone, a very large collection of lightbulbs, and a movie camera. 
Even thou he did not patent any inventions while living in Louisville, I still think it is pretty cool that he lived not far from where I was born and raised. I love that fact that you can always find some pretty amazing history in your own hometown. You would be surprise at what you can find if you just take the time to look for it.
If you are ever in Louisville, Ky. check out Thomas's house. It is located at 729-31 East Washington Street.
The website is www.edisonhouse.org
Disclaimer..I did not receive anything for doing this post nor am I getting anything for doing it.



No comments:

Post a Comment